Exam or Transfer

Credit by Exam or Transfer

Our Department recognizes the transfer course equivalencies previously approved by the University. If a student plans to take a course at another institution in the future, and it is not listed at the above site, that student should follow the advice of the Academic Advising Program and submit a Course Approval Form before taking the course.

If the course was taken in the past at a different institution but is not listed as previously approved, this is how to gain equivalency:

For Introductory Chemistry, Chem 101, Chem 102 and labs, students must take a placement/competency exam given by the chemistry department. If passed, this would show the student’s knowledge of the material, and the department will issue an explanation letter to the appropriate academic unit, for example Registrar’s office, Academic Advising, or Graduate program in Pharmacy.

The placement/competency exams will be given the day before classes begin for the fall and spring semesters. In spring 2020, the exams will be given on Tuesday, January 7 at 10:30 am in Venable/Murray room G202. You must sign up for the exam in which you plan to participate.

The exams will only be given if there are students interested in taking them. Students should email chemus@unc.edu to ask questions about the exams. There is no fee for this service, but students may only attempt each exam once.

Chemistry Exam

Students taking placement/competency exam