February 6, 2024 | By UNC-Chapel Hill Chemistry Communication
The Department of Chemistry is pleased to announce the recipients of our research awards. These awards are given to outstanding graduate students and postdocs in recognition of their contributions to their respective research disciplines.
Burroughs Wellcome Fellowship: This fellowship supports a third-year doctoral student that enables him/her to devote substantial time to organic chemistry research.
Francis Preston Venable Chemistry Award: This award recognizes outstanding rising 5th-year students. The award includes a semester fellowship (tuition, fees, stipend, health insurance) and a cash award. It is in memory of the late Francis P. Venable the former Dean of Chemistry and the University President.
- Julia Brom, Pielak Research Group
- Andrew King, Zhukhovitskiy Research Group
- Cole Sorenson, Leibfarth Research Group
- Christopher Travis, Waters Research Group
Sachiko Sakura Chemical Research Memorial Fund: This award recognizes outstanding work in chemical research and is in memory of the late Sachiko Sakura.
Sanford Steelman Fund: This award recognizes outstanding work in research and is in memory of the late Stanford L. Steelman.
- Sam Clouthier, You Research Group
Scott R. Rehm Excellence Fund: This award recognizes postdocs who do outstanding work in research and is in memory of the late Ronald George Rehm.
- Sergio Fernandez Martin, Miller Research Group
- Tamara Jurado, Miller Research Group
- Taylor Teitsworth, Lockett Research Group
- Zhongmin Zhang, Lu Research Group
The Dr. Albert Ledoux Fund: This award recognizes achievements in research and was created by Dr. Albert R. Ledoux.
The Floyd Edmister Fund: This award recognizes achievements in research and was created in memory of Floyd Edmister.
Thomas L. Isenhour and E.A. Booth Chemistry Fund: This award recognizes excellent researchers and is in memory of the late Thomas L. Isenhour and E.A. Booth.
- Gabriella Bein, Dempsey Research Group
- Matthew Bogen, Knight Research Group
- Samuel Bottom, Cahoon Research Group
- Isaiah Echart-Frank, Wilkerson-Hill Research Group
- Drake Johnson, Zhukhovitskiy Research Group