October 15, 2020
The Three Minute Thesis (3MT) is an academic competition that assists current graduate students with fostering effective presentation and communication skills. Participants have just three minutes to explain the breadth and significance of their research project to a non-specialist audience.
Three chemistry graduate students were selected among 10 finalists in UNC Chapel Hill’s 2020 3MT competition:
- Chiung-Wei Huang, Atkin Lab, research project- Feeling Is the Truth: Inhomogeneity in Materials
- Rachel Johnson, Li Lab, research project- A Hybrid Antibiotic to Overcome Antibiotic Resistance
- Jon Meyers, Cahoon Group, research project- A Grain of Salt
The virtual event will live stream on October 21, 2020 at 7 p.m. Three winners will be selected:
- First place will receive $1000 and participate in regional 3MT competitions to represent UNC Chapel Hill (TBD)
- Second place will receive $600
- People’s Choice will receive $400
3MT was developed by The University of Queensland in 2008, and is now held in more than 900 universities in 85 countries around the world.